Thursday, June 23, 2011

More Photography Exercises

I've finished reading the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and a now super challenged to implement what I've learned.  His book is full of ideas and examples and challenges and exercises.

One technique I tried this weekend was intentional blurring.  Not necessarily implying motion, but intentionally blurring the subject of the photo.

This was accomplished with a slow shutter speed and literally spinning in a circle while aiming at a tree branch.  I'd like to try it again when it's not as bright (and with a lower ISO) out to get more detail and less light.
Shutter Speed: 1/4 s
F-stop: f/22.0
Focal Length: 18.0 mm
ISO: 1600
This was accomplished by focusing on the steering wheel of the car all the way zoomed out (using my stock 18-35 zoom lens). With a slow shutter speed I clicked and zoomed all the way in.  It took several attempts to get the zoom speed timed with the shutter speed.  I like the effect of moving super fast; but not so sure I like how sick this photo makes me feel.
Shutter Speed: 1/8 s
F-stop: f/22.0
ISO: 1600

Finally, I practice some silhouettes.
This was my first 'real' attempt at a silhouette.  I love the idea of it, I just need to practice a little more.  I also need it to be not shady right outside the window.  That greatly impacted my meter reading.  But for a first time, I like it.  This is Audrey, peeking out the window watching our neighbors play.
Shutter Speed: 1/8s
F-stop: f/22
ISO: 1600
What have I learned:

  • I need to experiment more with my ISO when light sensitivity is an issue.
  • toddlers are cute, but don't follow direction well; they aren't the best "posed" model

No comments: